Gibson Watts Global: PEO & EOR Services


Hire in Sweden without a local entity today

As a Global PEO & EOR service provider, we pride ourselves on our global reach, in-country knowledge, and ability to swiftly and efficiently mobilize workers around the world. Our robust PEO/EOR covers everything from global HR, payroll, compliance, in-country support, immigration, visas, and more.

Get started and hire in Sweden today with Gibson Watts Global.

  • Sweden is so good at recycling, that the country imports rubbish from other countries to keep its recycling plants running
  • ABBA was the first act from Sweden to win the Eurovision Song Contest and became one of the best-selling music acts of all time
  • In the the IMD World Competitiveness Ranking 2022 – which ranks 63 economies – Sweden came fourth, after Denmark, Switzerland and Singapore

Forget software,
this is expansion
with a human touch

Explore our locations. We pride ourselves on our global reach.

Sweden PEO Services

A growing economy in the heart of the Balkans

Working in Sweden

Employment Information

Swedish work culture is based on freedom under responsibility and honest communication.

Working Hours

Normal working hours in Sweden are 40 hours a week Monday to Friday with an upper limit of 48 hours. Only around 1% of employees work more than 50 hours a week, one of the lowest rates in the OECD.

Minimum Wage Requirements

As is the case with other Nordic countries, Sweden does not have a minimum wage. Instead, minimum wage rates are determined under collective agreements and vary depending on the sector.

Holiday and Sickness Leave

Employees in Sweden are entitled to 25 days of paid holiday per year, providing ample time for rest and relaxation. In addition to these paid holidays, Swedish law mandates that employees are allowed six half-days of leave for personal needs, ensuring a healthy work-life balance.

One unique aspect of vacation pay in Sweden is that it is calculated as an additional supplement of 0.43% of an employee’s monthly pay per day when they take vacation. This means that employees are compensated for their time off based on their regular salary, allowing them to fully enjoy their well-deserved break without worrying about lost income.

If an employee is ill, the employer pays 80% of their salary during the first fourteen days. If you are sick for longer, you can obtain sickness cash benefit from Försäkringskassan (the Swedish Social Insurance Agency).

Parental Leave

Both parents together receive 480 days’ parental benefit per child. In the case of multiple births, an additional 180 days are granted for each additional child. When it comes to sick leave in Sweden, the compensation is structured in two different ways. For the first 390 days, commonly known as “sickness benefit level days”, the compensation is based on your income. However, for the remaining 90 days, known as “minimum level days”, the compensation is set at a fixed rate of SEK 180 per day (2023).

Public Holidays

  • New Year’s Day (Nyårsdagen) 1 January
  • Epiphany (Trettondag jul)
  • Good Friday (Långfredagen)
  • Easter Sunday (Påskdagen)
  • Easter Monday (Annandag påsk)
  • Ascension Day (Kristi himmelfärdsdag)
  • International Labour Day (Första Maj)
  • Pentecost Sunday (pingstdagen)
  • National Day (Sveriges nationaldag)
  • Midsummer Eve (Midsommarafton)
  • Midsummer Day (Midsommardagen)
  • All Saints’ Day (Alla helgons dag)
  • Christmas Eve (Julafton)
  • Christmas Day (Juldagen)
  • Second Day of Christmas (Annandag jul)
  • New Year’s Eve (nyårsafton)

Cultural Information

Some of the key characteristics of Swedish culture are social equality, inclusiveness, and a strong work ethic. The Scandinavian country is also known for its high levels of trust and respect for individual privacy.

Sweden has only one official language: Swedish (Svenska). There are also five minority languages including Finnish, Meänkieli, Romani, Yiddish, and Saami. Sweden also consistently ranks as one of the best countries in the world for English proficiency as they learn English at a very young age and use it extensively in their daily lives.

Christianity has a longstanding presence in Sweden, but in recent years, the religious landscape has become increasingly diverse. Over 80% of Swedes belong to the Lutheran Church of Sweden, although many don’t practice their religion. The remaining 20% is shared by Catholics, Orthodox Christian, Jews, Muslims, and Buddhists.

Learn more about doing business in Sweden

Facilitating your requirements, wherever you are.
Talk to us about your PEO & EOR requirements

Scroll to Top